I gotta take issue with you on this one, Raunch.

I thought the arrangement between Obama and Pitney
was entirely appropriate and very deft. Generally
speaking, any kind of collusion between the White
House and reporters is Not a Good Thing, but there
can be exceptions, and this was one of them.

What was "planted" in this case--unlike with Bush--
wasn't a question but rather the reporter, and it
was done quite openly rather than surreptitiously.

The question itself was entirely up to Pitney.
Because of his superb reporting (live-blogging,
actually) on the Iran situation, he was in a
position to relay a question from an Iranian on
the ground in Iran, and the White House invited
him to the press conference to do exactly that.

The election protests in Iran and the brutal
crackdown by the regime are unique in history, in
that a great deal of the information about what's
going on is being conveyed through "social
networking"--Twitter, Facebook, and other
Internet-based media--because the Iranian regime
is prohibiting journalists, including foreign
journalists, from reporting from Iran in the
normal way.

Pitney is tuned in to the citizen journalism
coming out of Iran via the social media. Obama
is treading extremely carefully on a fine line
between support for the protesters versus open
opposition to Ahmadinejad. Answering a question
from an Iranian protester, relayed to a U.S.
journalist via the Internet, was one way of
doing this.

As the AP article you linked to reported:

-----
Pitney, Huffington Post's national editor, asked Obama
what he described as a question from one of the people
"still courageous enough to be communicating online"
about whether Obama would recognized Iranian President
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's re-election, or if such a move
would be a betrayal of protesters.

"Ultimately, the most important thing for the Iranian
government to consider is legitimacy in the eyes of its
own people, not in the eyes of the United States,"
Obama said, repeating a familiar refrain. "And that's
why I've been very clear: Ultimately, this is up to
the Iranian people to decide who their leadership is
going to be and the structure of their government."
-----

Good question, and good answer. The article continues:

-----
White House officials say they wanted to highlight the
role of the Internet in the protests that followed
Iran's elections as well as reach out directly to
Iranians.

"Given his substantive contacts and reporting in Iran,
answering Pitney's question seemed like the best way to
communicate to the Iranian people since there's not an
Iranian press corps here in Washington," said deputy
press secretary Josh Earnest, who escorted Pitney to
the news conference and told other reporters to make
room for him.
-----

Makes perfect sense to me. It's also a good thing in
that responsible bloggers who focus on domestic
and foreign politics *should* be included in
presidential press conferences.

Granted, there's a slippery slope here, and the White
House took a small step down it. We need to be vigilant
they don't go any further in collaborating with the
media. I don't think this step makes that inevitable,
as long as we keep our eyes open.

On another point:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchy...@...> wrote:
<snip>
> I must have been prescient because at the TV and Radio
> Correspondents' Dinner on Saturday Obama joked, "I have
> to admit, though, it wasn't easy coming up with fresh
> material for this dinner. A few nights ago, I was up
> tossing and turning, trying to figure out exactly what
> to say. Finally, when I couldn't get back to sleep, I
> rolled over and asked [ABC anchor] Brian Williams what
> he thought."
>
> Williams got some criticism for "bowing" to Obama after
> an exclusive interview with Obama, and Obama sees fit
> to humiliate him in public? Arrogant much, Mr. President?

Boy, I didn't think Obama was trying to "humiliate"
Williams. He was gently mocking the notion that he's
in bed with the media, making fun of both Williams and
himself. Williams has a terrific, very bent sense of
humor, and I'd be astonished if he didn't find the
crack hilarious.