What claim did I make about Swami Vasudevananda? I only repeated what
Anoop Chandola said Swami Brahmandanda told him in a response to a
question about MMY.

What does my source disagree about? Anoop Chandola said it was a good
summary of the politics surrounding the succession to Gurudev's
position.

> p.s. if he contacts my friend at "Advaita Vedanta" with a specific
> question about the lineage, he'll quickly discover that his source
DOES
> disagree.

> Dana's response:
>
> Rick,
>
> only time for a moment of response to this guy's nonsense below.
>
> He isn't offering any compelling argument in support of
Vasudevananda's
> claim other than "he said, she said."  A comment from Shantananda,
whether
> it was made or not, is only one comment in a sea of comments by
direct
> disciples of Brahmananda.  This fellow finds his "source" compelling
> simply because he wants it to be true, not because when he compares
it to
> the large number of comments and other evidence extant he arrives
at a
> compelling position.
>
> my advice, if he shows no real interest in the circumstances of the
case
> is to simply let him be,
>
> Dana
>
> p.s. if he contacts my friend at "Advaita Vedanta" with a specific
> question about the lineage, he'll quickly discover that his source
DOES
> disagree.
>

> Rick Archer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Thursday, June 30, 2005 at 4:59 PM
> wrote:
>

> >The guy's response:
> >

> >LOL. Talk about making sure that you get the response you're
looking
> >for.
> >
> >Tell him that Anoop Chandola is a guy who learned to meditate from
> >Swami Shantananda during the period when MMY was with the Beatles,
> >because his family had religious clout in Northern India (who chose
> >to meet with Swami Shantananda when given the choice of which of
the
> >two Shankaracharyas he wanted to meet), who asked Swami Shantananda
> >if the Maharishi who was with the Beatles was legitimate or not.
> >
> >Swami Shantananda's response was to laugh and say "Let me put it to
> >you this way: he would have been my first choice as my sucessor but
> >they would allow it due to the caste laws."
> >
> >Any and all discussion since then about whose credentials were
> >important is because YOU (Rick Archer) and company don't think
that a
> >conversation with Swami Shantananda 30-40 years ago has any bearing
> >on whether or not MMY is legitimately involved with the
> >Shankaracharya tradition. YOu were citing Dana Sawyer and I was
> >citing Anoop Chandola's personal conversation with Swami
Shantananda
> >Saraswati about MMY (and,by extension, Chandola's family tradition
> >about the whole thing, from the perspective of people who were
> >involved in the selection process of Gurudev, reading between
> >thelines about what Chandola has said).
> >
> >BTW, Chandola agrees with the description of the politics of the
> >Shankaracharya sucession found on the "Advaita Vedanta Homepage."
The
> >discussion wasn't about the current Shankaracharya's
> >legal/political/religious standing, but about what the [at that
time]
> >legally recognized Shankaracharya said about MMY during that time.
> >
> >YOU were the one saying that Swami Shantananda's comments were of
no
> >interest because Dana Sawyer says so.
> >
> >I'd like to hear what Dana Sawyer says when you quote all this
(plus
> >whatever face-saving commentary you add, of course).
> >

> >--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >> Sorry I can't reply to an original post in this thread, but I've
> >deleted it,
> >> so I'll start a new one:
> >>
> >> From Dana Sawyer
> >>
> >> Hey Rick!  Let me get at this a bit at a time.

> >named
authoritative
> >that
> >below and
> >>
> >> His question below is simply "what has Dana Sawyer published?"
> >Before I
> >> answer that question, let me first point out that lists of
> >publications
> >> (especially publications dealing with "linguistics and music") do
> >not
> >> constitute rational arguments in support of a position.  This
> >fellow says
> >> that Anoop Chandola is the ultimate authority on the Jyoitirmath
> >issue but
> >> stating it does not make it so.  What is the grounds of his
> >authority and
> >> what are the specifics of his argument?  What research did he
> >perform?
> >> What peer reviews has his work undergone?  In academia today, the
> >two
> >> leading authorities on Shankaracarya issues are William Chenkner
and
> >> Vidyasankar Sundareshan (a scholar who has published widely and
also
> >> maintains the "Advaita Vedanta Homepage").  Their work has been
> >> scrutinized by their peers and they argue for viable positions.
> >have
> >> never heard of Anoop Chandola, and that says a lot because I have
> >been
> >> researching Dandis and Shankaracaryas for more than seventeen
> >years.  So,
> >> if my detractor will be so kind as to present the substance of
his
> >> position, I will be glad to scrutinize his arguments, share them
> >with my
> >> colleagues, and give my appraisal.
> >>
> >> OK, now to answer the question: a full list of my publications is
> >not
> >> pertinent to the Jyotirmath dispute.  What is pertinent is that I
> >am the
> >> current leading academic authority on the Dandi samnyasins and
have
> >> published several academic papers on them.  In my chapter, "The
> >Monastic
> >> Structure of Banarsi Dandi Sadhus," in Hertel and Humes, eds.,
> >Living
> >> Banaras: Hindu Religion in Cultural Context (SUNY Press, 1994) I
> >made
> >> mention of the Jyotirmath dispute, and in my forthcoming book
from
> >Pilgrim
> >> Book Trust, The Dandi Sadhus: History, Philosophy, and Practice,
> >make
> >> greater mention of it.  However, my work in general focuses more
on
> >the
> >> Dandis than the specific dispute.  Having said that, my field
> >research has
> >> often brought me in direct contact with the principle
protagonists