Friends who have taken SSRI's have told me they do feel insulated from
any unpleasantness while on them. I think if you are really depressed
you should take them if you feel you need to and not endure some
terrible suffering that you could avoid. All these pharmaceuticals are
very bad for the environment having strange effects on fish and on up
the food chain. I have had first hand reports from individuals who had
their depression alieviated within two weeks with a double dose of
Maharishi Ayurveda "Blissful Joy" tablets and using the aromatherapy.
Also at www.amritaveda.com there are psychologically oriented
formulas(shanti,viveka).