> The problem with the standard line of bullcrap
> above is that the TMO does not have enough examples
> of people who have "just meditated and gone to
> residence courses" whom most in the outside world
> would think of as decent human beings, much less
> enlightenend human beings.

As you say, all joking aside, your  post reminds me of something I heard MMY
say many years (probably 70's).  I am writing this from memory (and of course
paraphrasing) so if someone thinks they may well have a  more accurate version,
they may well have and I would like to hear it.

MMY said that at the time the Buddha left the body, 500 of his disciples were
enlightened. That being the case, according to MMY, with all the technologies
he/TMO had at their disposal (at that time, video for recording his speeches,
air travel, etc.), he was expecting many more than 500 enlightened disciples.

Knowing the publicity hungry TMO, I don't think it is the case that the TMO has
"produced" numerous enlightened people and that it has decided to hide all of
them.