--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Stanley" <j_alexander_stan...@...>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk" <shempmcgurk@> wrote:
> >
> > Is anyone else having bad avocado buying and consuming experiences
> > as I am?
>
> I do notice the bruising issue, but it doesn't strike me as being any worse
> than it used to be. I have the best luck with them when I ripen them at room
> temperature to the firm side of ripe and then keep them in the fridge.
>
> The best avocados I ever had were from our back yard (well, technically, the
> neighbor's back yard) when we had a house in Naples FL. There was this huge
> avocado tree in the strip of woods that separated the two back yards, and the
> very top of the tree would be loaded with large, oval-ish, smooth-skinned
> avocados (not the little smooth ones that are round on one end and skinny on
> the other.) When I first saw them, I wondered how the hell anyone was
> supposed to pick them. But, I soon discovered that they naturally drop from
> the tree about two days before they're ripe enough to eat. Dropping 50+ feet
> to the ground didn't seem to have any effect on them; the biggest problem was
> fruit rats gnawing on them. Once in a while, one of the markets in FF will
> get a shipment of similar avocados, but it doesn't seem like they're as
> widely grown as the Hass variety.

Heaven on earth to me would be having an avocado tree and a fig tree in my back
yard.  And it's only laziness that's stopping me from getting a fig tree
because they grow wonderfully here in AZ.  But not so avocado trees although
googling has revealed that there is a Mexican variety that seems to do well in
dry, hot climates.

I had fantastic luck with tomatoes this year.  Hard to do in AZ unless you know
what you're doing.  I plant them against the wall of my house which sheilds
them from the heat of the sun for at least half the day.  Of course, once it
gets over 105 degrees, they pretty much cook on the vine.  But until then it
was a bumper crop.  I have three orange trees (actually, one tree and two
"Brazilian Blood Red" bushes) and two olive trees.  The olive trees are a pain
because the black olives fall on the ground, get squished by your shoes and
track black everywhere; the oranges...well, one gets quite tired of oranges
very quickly.  There's only so much orange juice I can stand...