--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "j_alexander_stanley"
<j_alexander_stan...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@> wrote:
> >
> > Just installed in 20 minutes. It's true, I actually have 7 gigs of
> > extra space. It's like having a new computer. It's actually a faster
> > OS than the previous version imagine that.
> >
> > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/27/technology/personaltech/
> > 27pogue.html?_r=1&emc=eta1
>
> I just ordered it this morning for my Macbook.

It arrived today, and I just installed it. What I did was make sure it was
entirely updated, reboot, and make note of the hard drive's capacity and
available space (232.57GB and 183.43GB). I started the install at 3:42pm, and
it finished at 4:29pm. After the install, it says the hard drive's capacity and
available space are 249.72GB and 204.79GB. Apparently they've switched to a
different method of counting bytes, but the difference between the two values
dropped from 49.14GB to 44.93GB, so it appears I did gain some space.

I won't know if I notice any difference until I spend some time using it, and I
don't use it a whole lot when I'm at home. I had it with me on the trip to
California, and what really impressed me was how well the sleep function works.
I've had a number of Windows laptops over the years, and sleep never worked
right on them. Windows would either freeze up when trying to reactivate or it
would start up but act wonky enough that a reboot was required. With the
MacBook, I can just shut the lid and it goes to sleep; open the lid and it pops
back to life, immediately logs back on to the WiFi, and life is good. I can do
that over and over on the same initial boot-up, and it just works perfectly
every time.

The web server down in the basement that also runs the post count script is an
old desktop machine that I bought in late 1999. It's a 733 MHz Pentium III
running Win2000, and it only has around a 15GB hard drive. There's only a
couple gigs of space left, and its limitations are starting to be felt. I dread
having to reconfig a new server, but before too long, I'm going to replace that
large, loud desktop tower with a tiny, silent Mac Mini.