On Sep 16, 2009, at 11:55 AM, hugheshugo wrote:

> I think it comes down to testability. I have a
> sneaking suspicion that a lot of things that are
> rejected as "supernatural" because they can't be--
> or haven't been--nailed down by a test have simply
> not been tested properly.
>
> Lawrence LeShan came out with a book recently
> arguing that tests for mental telepathy are so
> poorly designed that they couldn't find telepathy
> even if it did exist, and proposes a different
> approach altogether.

I think that if telepathy were even remotely
possible we wouldn't need to test for it, as
we'd be using it every single day to do just
about everything.

Well consider Rupert Sheldrake's "sense of being stared at" as just this nascent ability. Almost all humans have it. Surely you've felt as if someone was looking at you, only to turn around and find it to be the case? I would suspect this is our atrophied version of this (natural) ability.

Of course also consider that some filtering may be necessary. Hearing all levels of thought and not just the primary "think" that one is engaged in would be overwhelming to the "listener". It would not be helpful therefore until discrimination was appropriately refined.

Yogic literature refers to this level of thinking as "that which sees", so it comes with a way to discriminate, just as the physical eyes would discriminate physical objects and events, only at the mental level.