--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ShempMcGurk" <shempmcg...@...>
wrote:

> Give ME money I don't have and I'll spend it like a drunken sailor,
too!

> No one -- and I mean no one -- has spent more money more quickly than
this president.

Bananas.

What Caused the Budget Deficit?

David Leonhardt has a nice article breaking down the sources
<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/10/business/economy/10leonhardt.html?hp>
of the growth in the budget deficit. Since Leonhardt works for The New
York Times rather than USA Today, they didn't see fit to illustrate
his article with a pie chart, but I made one myself:
  [deficit]
— "The first category — the business cycle — accounts
for 37 percent of the $2 trillion swing."

— Second, Bush-era legislation "like his tax cuts and the
Medicare prescription drug benefit, [that] not only continue to cost the
government but have also increased interest payments on the national
debt."

— Third, "Obama's main contribution to the deficit is his
extension of several Bush policies, like the Iraq war and tax cuts for
households making less than $250,000 [...] 20 percent of the swing."

— Fourth, "About 7 percent comes from the stimulus bill that Mr.
Obama signed in February."

— Fifth, "only 3 percent comes from Mr. Obama's agenda on
health care, education, energy and other areas."

In other words, the very high deficits are not Obama's fault according
to any normal way of assessing political blame...

More here:  http://snipurl.com/rtyig <http://snipurl.com/rtyig>
[yglesias_thinkprogress_org]

But I guess that's what you get when you elect a community organiser for
president.

> What do community organisers do?  Why, they knock on the doors of
various levels of government with hand extended asking for money.
That's pretty much a full time job for those in the upper echelons of
community organisations.

> So when this guy became president and is now on the OTHER side of the
door he naturally thinks that his job is to give money to people on the
other side of it...and the more he gives out, the better a job he thinks
he is doing. After all, isn't that what he wanted government to do when
he was on the asking side of the door?

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "do.rflex" do.rflex@ wrote:
> >

> > Obama's Brilliant First Year
> > By January, he will have accomplished more than any first-year
president
> > since Franklin Roosevelt.By Jacob Weisberg
> >
> >   [Barack Obama. Click image to expand.]
> > <http://www.slate.com/id/2236712/>
> >
> > Barack Obama
> >

> >         About one thing, left and right seem to agree these days:
Obama

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/21/AR20091\
\
> > 02104242.html>  have found common ground in scoffing at the
president's
> > "dithering." Newsweek recently ran a sympathetic cover story titled,
> > "Yes He Can (But He Sure Hasn't Yet)."
> >

> > The sarcasm brigade thinks it's finally found an Achilles' heel in
his
> > lack of accomplishments. "When you look at my record, it's very
clear
> > what I've done so far and that is nothing. Nada. Almost one year and
> > nothing to show for it," Obama stand-in Fred Armisen recently riffed
on
> > Saturday Night Live. "It's chow time
> > <http://www.afterelton.com/blog/edkennedy/daily-show-10-06-09> ,"
Jon
> > Stewart asserts, for a president who hasn't followed through on his
> > promises.
> >
> > This conventional wisdom about Obama's first year isn't just
> > premature—it's sure to be flipped on its head by the anniversary
of
> > his inauguration on Jan. 20.
> >

> > If, as seems increasingly likely, Obama wins passage of a health
care
> > reform a bill by that date, he will deliver his first State of the
Union
> > address having accomplished more than any other postwar American
> > president at a comparable point in his presidency. This isn't an
> > ideological point or one that depends on agreement with his
policies.
> > It's a neutral assessment of his emerging record—how many big,
> > transformational things Obama is likely to have made happen in his
first
> > 12 months in office.
> >
> > The case for Obama's successful freshman year rests above all on the
> > health care legislation now awaiting action in the Senate.
> >

> > Democrats have been trying to pass national health insurance for 60
> > years. Past presidents who tried to make it happen and failed
include
> > Harry Truman, Lyndon Johnson, Jimmy Carter, and Bill Clinton.
Through
> > the summer, Obama caught flak <http://www.slate.com/id/2224026/>
for
> > letting Congress lead the process, as opposed to setting out his own
> > proposal. Now his political strategy is being vindicated.
> >

> > The bill he signs may be flawed in any number of ways—weak on
cost
> > control, too tied to the employer-based system, and inadequate in
terms
> > of consumer choice. But given the vastness of the enterprise and the
> > political obstacles, passing an imperfect behemoth and improving it
> > later is probably the only way to succeed where his predecessors
failed.

> > We are so submerged in the details of this debate—whether the
bill
> > will include a "public option," limit coverage for abortion, or tax
> > Botox <http://www.slate.com/id/2236447/> —that it's easy to lose
> > sight of the magnitude of the impending change. For the federal
> > government to take responsibility for health coverage will be a
> > transformation of the American social contract and the single
biggest
> > change in government's role since the New Deal.
> >

> > If Obama governs for four or eight years and accomplishes nothing
else,
> > he may be judged the most consequential domestic president since
LBJ. He

<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/21/business/economy/21stimulus.html?scp=\
\
> > 3%26sq=obama%2520economic%2520stimulus%26st=cse>  recently quoted
Mark
> > Zandi, who was one of candidate John McCain's economic advisers, on
this
> > point: "The stimulus is doing what it was supposed to do—it is
> > contributing to ending the recession," he said. "In my view, without
the
> > stimulus, G.D.P would still be negative and unemployment would be
firmly
> > over 11 percent."
> > When it comes to foreign policy, Obama's accomplishment has been
less
> > tangible but hardly less significant: He has put America on a new
> > footing with the rest of the world.
> >

> > In a series of foreign trips and speeches, which critics deride as
trips
> > and speeches, he replaced George W. Bush's unilateral, moralistic
> > militarism with an approach that is multilateral, pragmatic, and
> > conciliatory.
> >

> > Obama has already significantly reoriented policy toward Iran,
China,
> > Russia, Iraq, Israel, and the Islamic world. Next week, after a
> > much-disparaged period of review, he will announce a new strategy in
> > Afghanistan. No, the results do not yet merit his Nobel Peace Prize.
But
> > not since Reagan has a new president so swiftly and determinedly
> > remodeled America's global role.
> >
> > Obama has wisely deferred some smaller, politically hazardous
battles
> > over issues such as closing Guantanamo, ending "Don't Ask, Don't
Tell,"