John wrote:
> Why do you assume that the author's words aren't
> an exact translation?

Because 'Siva' wasn't invented until the age of the
devotional sects in India? There is no mention of
'Shiva' in the Rig Veda. These terms came much later
after Shankara in the 9th century. The Rig Veda is
concerned with the supernal dieties, the personified
forces of nature - there are no devatas mentioned in
the Rig Veda and no Supreme Being called 'Brahman'.
The term Brahman isn't used until the composition of
the Upanishads.