On Dec 20, 2009, at 11:39 AM, lurkernomore20002000 wrote:

> Seeing Avatar, and reading a lot recently of reports of possible liquid water
> on other planets, had me thinking that if "intelligent" life is found, then
> Christian missionaries would feel compelled to immediately go and try to
> convert the inhabitants. I am not poking fun at them. But, I figure that a
> world view that holds that Jesus is the "Lord of the Unverse", does really
> allow for any renegade provinces that may not have heard the "good news". I
> think discovered life on another planet, (if it happens) is going to be a
> tough one here.

I would suspect, like in Avatar, that the primary harm to other intelligent
lifeforms would be due to militarism and/or corporatism. But keeping in mind
that these two are, at least in the US, associated with ethnocentric levels of
god worship and esp. Christian fundamentalism, the chances are fundie types
would want to impose their primitive beliefs on even a more advanced
civilization--which they would see Coulter-like, as "Godless".

It's interesting that in the Star Trek mythos their civilization had developed
what they called "the prime directive", no interference with civilizations with
less development. It would take humanity "getting over" it's collective "God
delusion" in order for that to happen IMO. Unless militarism ceases or
dramatically decreases, the chances of humanity (collectively) moving beyond
primitive religious conceptions is unlikely, as the survival mode that war
thrusts upon a nation or people will inevitably force them into more primitive
religious memes.

I tend to agree with HHDL, who when he spoke to Hindu leaders at the Kumbha
Mela a number of years back said 'the time of conversion has ended'.

It could also be that space travel will require that forms of spiritual
mastery, like being able to go into suspended animation, be wedded with
technology. Such scientific realties could render primitive earth religions
obsolete and potentially catalyze human evolution.