--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "WillyTex" <willy...@...> wrote:

> > > The mastery of 'siddhis' is attained through the practice
> > > of 'yoga', as described in the 'Yoga Sutras' of Patanjali
> > > (circa 200 BC). According to Mircea Eliade, the practice
> > > of yogic enstasis is unique to South Asia.
> > >
> > WillyTex,
> John Jr wrote:
> > You're missing my point.  What I'm saying is that the
> > siddhis are universal and can be attained in any of the
> > major religions today...
> >
> Sorry, John, there is no mention of any 'siddha yoga' in the
> scriptures of any Judeo-Christian tradition. The examples you
> cite are magical feats mentioned in religious mythology, for
> example, Simom Magus - he flew up in the air due to the power
> of El (God), not through any yogic means. That's my point.

Of course you won't find 'siddha yoga' in the entire Bible because of
differences in language and tradition.  But the concept of unity is universal.
The objective of unification with the Transcendent is common among all
religions.

These are not magical feats.  My point is that they are attributes of being in
samadhi, which is a byproduct of meditation, vedic or otherwise.

> According to Mircea Eliade, only the rudiments of classic Yoga
> are to be found in the Vedas, and while shamanism and other
> techniques of ecstasy are documented among other Indo-European
> people, "Yoga is to be found only in India and in cultures
> influenced by Indian spirituality" (102).

Yoga is a vedic word.  But the concept of unity with the divine is a universal
human desire.