--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "emptybill" <emptyb...@...> wrote:

>     1. First      Major Precept
>

> On Killing
>
> A disciple of the Buddha shall not himself kill, encourage others to
> kill, kill by expedient means, praise killing, rejoice at witnessing
> killing, or kill through incantation or deviant mantras. He must not
> create the causes, conditions, methods, or karma of killing, and shall
> not intentionally kill any living creature.
> Brahma Jala Sutra

For me this is beautiful and profound statement.  What I read between the lines
(maybe purely projection -- but still its a useful connection for me) is that
violence always begets violence. You can always make 1000 reasons why war and
violence are justified at times --  -- the Obama doctrine in his Nobel Prize
speech.  But in my view, this is looking at the small picture.

If you have done 50 years of stupid things, war may be near inevitable . First,
avoid the danger before it comes. If societies and nation states and the world
community were more proactive in ceasing stupid things that sow the seeds of
future violence -- this is the first step.

However, even if you have let things get out of hand and violence appears to be
the only answer -- in truth it only perpetuates the same cycle. Where this
Buddhist Sutra, Ghandi, MLK, Mandela, Jesus in his original teachings (as I
intuit them) and others are stunningly insightful and correct , IMO, is that
they reveal this vicious cycle of violence and war and suggest means to stop
the cycle of violence and wars.

War will never be the tool to stop all wars. Violence will never be the tool to
stop all violence. As MMY, Godel and various management gurus have said --
Transcend, get out side the system, think outside the box, bootstrap dynamics,
etc.