--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:

> With the local Hollywood Video going out of business and a new Samsung
> networked Bluray player I decided to sign up again for Netflix.  As I've
> mentioned before I used Netflix over 10 years ago when DVD first came
> out because few if any of the local stores had DVDs to rent.  Then they
> began getting them and I stopped using Netflix.  So upon Turq's
> recommendation I put Starz's "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" in my Instant
> Watch list.   Last night I watched the first half of the first episode.
> Interesting series though nowhere as well produced as HBO's "Rome" but
> quite interesting how they put green screen and CG to work to create the
> episode.  Not sure if it's my cup of tea as I found plenty to fill the
> queue otherwise.  Of course I've seen enough to see why Turq liked it. ;-)
>
> The first thing I watched in HD on Instant Play

I recently suspended my membership -- lack of time -- but when I was active, I
was disappointed in many of the instant plays.

First, many were edited to 4:3 format -- losing 2/3's of the actual picture. i
have refused to watch that format for years. (sort like using a 1/2 inch thick
condom.)

Second, the resolution was mediocre on many (better on some). I have a 25 MB
connection so I assumed they hwouldhave the throttle opend up a bit on their
side -- maybe 6-10 MG which would enable HD streaming.

Have they changed and upped their "output" speeds?

Third, selection was primarily old cable fodder -- though still a lot of old
art house films.

>was was a quirky
> psychological thriller which could easily make the "weird film" list
> called "Order of Chaos".  I had stumbled across the movie looking at the
> Alan Watt www.cuttingthroughthematrix.com site as they used a couple of
> Alan's Internet radio raps in the movie and he had put a link to
> Amazon's listing there.  Those not familiar with Alan is he is a
> Scotsman living in Canada doing historical conspiracy podcasts.   You
> can find these on his site and they can be very entertaining.  One
> interesting thing is he claims that TM was an attempt by the Freemason's
> to create a new religion using Maharishi.  I suspect that Alan may have
> at one time practiced TM or was even a teacher. The movie was
> interesting enough that I had Netflix send me the DVD so that I could
> listen to the commentary and see what was behind the making of the movie.
>
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1159721/
>
> Between Netflix, Vudu, Redbox and Amazon's service I might ditch most of
> my cable bill.  Cable companies are so yesterday.

I cancelled my subscription. A lot of stuff I watch is on hulu or you tube --
at least the "best" parts.