--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:

> With the local Hollywood Video going out of business and a new
> Samsung networked Bluray player I decided to sign up again for
> Netflix.  As I've mentioned before I used Netflix over 10 years
> ago when DVD first came out because few if any of the local
> stores had DVDs to rent. Then they began getting them and I
> stopped using Netflix. So upon Turq's recommendation I put
> Starz's "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" in my Instant Watch list.
> Last night I watched the first half of the first episode.
> Interesting series though nowhere as well produced as HBO's
> "Rome"...

Just you wait. Heh heh. :-)

> ...but quite interesting how they put green screen and CG to
> work to create the episode. Not sure if it's my cup of tea as
> I found plenty to fill the queue otherwise. Of course I've seen
> enough to see why Turq liked it. ;-)

As much as I like tits, it's not just the tits. :-)
"Spartacus" has some of the best villains I have
ever seen onscreen, and some of the most nefarious
plotting. Not to mention a depth of characterization
I had absolutely no reason to suspect was coming in
the first couple of episodes.

I have gone beyond being an apologetic fan and have
become an unapologetic fan. I think that -- for good
or ill -- it defines the future of television. I
expect there to be six knockoff copycat series within
a year. None of them will be as good, but all of them
will use the "violence porn" metaphor.

> The first thing I watched in HD on Instant Play was was a quirky
> psychological thriller which could easily make the "weird film"
> list called "Order of Chaos".

I have a download of this, but haven't watched it yet.

> I had stumbled across the movie looking at the Alan Watt
> http://www.cuttingthroughthematrix.com site as they used
> a couple of Alan's Internet radio raps in the movie and
> he had put a link to Amazon's listing there. Those not
> familiar with Alan is he is a Scotsman living in Canada
> doing historical conspiracy podcasts.

I can somehow see why this would be your cuppa tea. :-)

> You can find these on his site and they can be very
> entertaining. One interesting thing is he claims that TM
> was an attempt by the Freemason's to create a new religion
> using Maharishi.

That's just silly. The Freemasons I've met were much smarter
than that. :-)

> I suspect that Alan may have at one time practiced TM or was
> even a teacher. The movie was interesting enough that I had
> Netflix send me the DVD so that I could listen to the commentary
> and see what was behind the making of the movie.

Let me guess: "The making of money?"  :-)

> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1159721/
>
> Between Netflix, Vudu, Redbox and Amazon's service I might ditch
> most of my cable bill. Cable companies are so yesterday.

I find it difficult to even conceive of why I'd need cable
or a satellite hookup. The only rationale I see for them is
if you're a sports fan or, in the case of many UK ex-pats
living here, lonely for British TV shows from home. I am
neither, and live in a country that wisely sees nothing
wrong with downloading media for private viewing, so I don't
see myself ever needing to hook up to a "media tit" other
than the Internet ever again.