[mailto:fairfieldl...@yahoogroups.com]
> On Behalf Of lurkernomore20002000
> Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2010 9:15 PM
> To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Observations on Buddha at the Gas Pump
>

> Ok, I believe he (Ravi) is of Indian descent. He claims that although
> he embraces, or at least is comfortable with "liberal" western values,
> that his wife is traditional in her values, and that she wants her
> husband to be her guru as well. Maybe it is all good. But it doesn't
> sound quite right to me. My connection between this situation, and off
> shore drilling, was that there seemed to be a big pile on, in the
sense
> that members of the group were echoing one another that the BP
disaster
> should make it clear that all off shore drilling should be banned, and
> then while we're at it, lets ban any more nuclear plants.
>
> Now, rightly or wrongly, I figure that people who espouse those
> sentiments are also likely to be vocal about women's rights, and it
> seemed that no one cared to challenge Ravi about his decision to ban
his
> wife from participating in anything to do with Amma, and that going
> forward he was to occupy that role.
> Actually, I was the one who suggested that the oil spill may end the
debate
> about expanding off-shore oil drilling. Here's my comment: "My take on
the
> leak is that humanity is too stupid and stubborn to see and adopt more
> evolutionary, environmentally-friendly technologies voluntarily, so we
need
> very graphic, explicit lessons. This one kind of ends the debate on
> off-shore drilling, I'd say. Let's hope we don't need a lesson on
nuclear
> power plants."  Okay, thanks for the clarification. It sounds to me
like the solutions you propose are pretty radical.   Nuclear seems to be
working well in places it is generating power.
> I also responded to Ravi thusly: "Why does she have to reject Amma?
Can't
> she derive inspiration from multiple sources? With so much change and
> development still going on in your life, do you really feel qualified
to be
> a guru? Or maybe it's a traditional Indian thing, where the wife sees
her
> husband as her guru." And in another post: "So are you entering an
Anti-Amma
> phase, or do you just feel that your wife's devotion to you should be
> undivided? Will you and she still go to see Amma?"Right, I would be
interested in hearing a response.  Seems to me everyone else gave him a
free pass.  I guess some feel it wouldn't be polite, or that it would be
awkward to press him on this.
> He hasn't responded to this yet.
> I'll reserve judgment on Ravi. I don't know him or his relationship
with his
> wife well enough to understand what's going on between them. He was my
most
> recent interview and I hope to have the audio and video up at I am
sure it will shed some light on what his perspective is.