--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "markmeredith2002" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> What exactly is purity of the teaching?  Go to see 5 different
> Maharishi Jyotishis and you'll get 5 different readings using 5
> different approaches, but if a jyotishi trained at maharishi jyotish
> courses and using his training faithfully decides to stop giving the
> right % of his revenues to the mov't, then he'll be called a threat to
> the purity of the teaching and have his badge revoked.  There are many
> similar cases in the tmo in which purity of teaching seems to just be
> an excuse to protect revenues.  MMY changed his method of teaching TM
> drastically when he came to west and initiators know that even the
> method of choosing mantras has been changed over time.  Instructions
> regarding program are constantly changing.  It seems to me that
> misusing the term "purity of the teaching" for purely economic reasons
> is itself the biggest threat to the purity of the teaching these days.

snip to end

********

Excellent question, cogent observations.

When I became an Initiator (Fiuggi '72) the "purity of the teaching" was about
the content
of The Knowledge and the method of its transmission.

In the 80s, someone in the power structure offered the opinion that MIU had
been founded
to "preserve the purity of the teaching". This was not the case, actually. The
means of
preserving the content and method of transmission had already been established
in the
Teacher Training courses. Maharishi said that the rationale for MIU was that
universities
are understood and accepted by society as repositories and laboratories of
useful
knowledge (not a direct quote; minor extrapolation); the establishment of the
university
was to promote society's acceptance of The Knowledge.

I think it's fair to say that the University's successes in society's eyes have
been
marginal. Meanwhile, certain fundamentals of The Knowledge have actually been
compromised by the University. For example, the principle of innocence in
practice—
absolutely foundational as far as I'm concerned—was completely trashed by the
practice of
grading students on their performance in the Domes, where they are observed by
faculty
and accorded a performance rating based on how much they hop. Does anyone
seriously
believe that a student who hasn't hopped until the last minute of the session
won't jump
up and down once or twice for the sake of the grade?

When one drops the theoretical considerations and looks for an operational
definition, the
preponderance of evidence favors a financial basis to the Purity Of The
Teaching. Anything
that competes with the proprietary offering is considered Off The Program.

Simply put, The Purity Of The Teaching today seems to be mostly about the
money. Which
is why I place no faith in the organization to transmit anything of great
spiritual value to
the next generation.

L B S