--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:

> Buck wrote:
> > Actually, does anybody remember what Charlie Lutes said about suicide?
> > His stories.
>
> I seem to remember Charlie talking about how suicide is looked upon as a
> bad thing in Indian philosophy but if suffering from cancer he could see
> why a person my want a way out.
>
> In Indian philosophy suicide leads to getting stuck in some kind of
> "purgatory", not quite dead but not alive either.   And of course I've
> got a movie for this: "Wristcutters" which is well worth a watch.  What
> really happens to someone who commits suicide we really don't know but
> telling folks they could get stuck in a "purgatory" might be useful
> prevention.

Different story.  A friend here re-tells
hearing Charlie Lutes getting a phone call from
a despondent friend threatening suicide.

Charlie
tells him "Before you do that, let me tell you what is
going to happen".   "With our bodies gone
the soul has no buffer but for the raw suffering and pain
it is experiencing".
(picture of hell)
"You could do that, its an option"  The advantage of a human
body is that it buffers pain & suffering.  Without a body & nervous
system the soul is exposed to the totality of the pain and suffering."
etc.
The caller reconsidered.