Brian, I looked at the NY Times this morning and found
I have to take back some of what I wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/us/10access.html?th&emc=th

Apparently some reporters' access *has* been restricted,
more or less arbitrarily. But there doesn't seem to be
any reason for it other than as a function of BP's
overall reflexive, bureaucratic lack of transparency; it
isn't a matter of trying to hide some far worse catastrophe
than we know about. The stated policy of both the government
and BP is to accommodate journalists as much as possible.

I was also wrong about the no-fly zone. Small planes *are*
allowed to fly over the site if they first get permission
from the FAA--although, again, some reporters have been
denied permission. It isn't so much a "no-fly zone" as it
is "restricted airspace."

Sorry for misleading you on those points! Do read the Times
article for more details.