--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "anatol_zinc" <anatol_z...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <fintlewoodlewix@>
> wrote:
> >

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "anatol_zinc" anatol_zinc@
> wrote:
> > >

> > > Einstein's theory of General Relativity  predicted that light would
> bend bypassing a massive planet like the Sun. That was the only feasible
> experiment for his untested theory at the time since there were no
> lasers, etc.
> > >
> > > Einstein was asked what if the experiment proves his theory wrong?
> He said that would mean the experiment was not done properly.
> > >
> > > Amen !
> >
> > HUGO:
> > Wrong about the faith part I'm afraid. That was a measure simply
> > of how confident he was about his theory of gravity and light.
> > >>>

> OK Hugo, so you see a big difference between the word faith and the word
> confidence.

Not really, but you were implying Einstein was religious
about science when he wasn't at all. I guess the difference
between faith in god and confidence in his theory is that
his theory was always testable when the existence of a god
of any sort appears not to be.

One can therefore have confidence in one's theories but
one can only have faith in god.

> Well I'm no psychic,

I don't believe anyone is. And I am confident about that :-)

> So let me guess, you might say "I have confidence in myself and
> no-faith in God." Well what if, myself = God and confidence = faith?
> You can see how absurd the above assertion is.

I would say I have occasional confidence in myself and no
faith that there is a god. Couldn't see the point really,
god is a bit of a failed hypothesis as far as I'm concerned,
I've read all the holy books and god seems like a part of
cultures that are so distant it's hard to say what god
actually was to them. Was he an astronaut or the halucinations
from a now defunct part of our brains? Was he an invention
by the ruling class to keep the lower orders in line or was
he a real live flesh and blood supreme creator being who
just happens to not want to have anything to do with us any
more?

Or was he a name people came up with to explain how they
felt in altered states of consciousness bought on by too
much mushroom tea or meditation, or both?

> It's like the atheist said "I did not believe in God, until I
> found out I am God"

I would say idiot rather than athiest, all they did was change
a definition of something to incorporate a change of opinion
about themselves. It isn't like thinking you are god changes
the meaning of any other discoveries in any way whatsoever,
it is merely a religious concept that makes spiritual people
feel better about themselves. No harm in it but it's a conclusion
based on faith. If you could *prove* you were god, that would be
a different matter but I suspect most people would just say
"that isn't what god means."