<snip>
> Seeing this lama was one of my first exposures to Translation
> As Artform. I don't know if you have ever seen Tibetan
> teachers speak, and how their words are translated, but it's
> a fascinating experience. It's not the teacher saying a
> sentence, pausing while it's translated, and then speaking
> the next sentence. It's the teacher speaking for maybe five
> minutes at a time, completely free to craft his dharma talk
> the way he wants, without interruption, and the translator
> sitting there at his side listening. Just listening. No note-
> taking. Then, when the teacher "runs down" and pauses, the
> translator repeats what the teacher said in another language.
> ALL of what he said. Verbatim, just translated. Try to
> imagine the strength of mind and focus necessary to be able
> to do this.

Totally agree that translation can be an art form.

But two questions here:

1. Are you fluent in Tibetan? If not, how could you tell
how faithful his translation was, or even that he'd
translated all of what the speaker had said?

2. Are you quite sure the translator had never heard the
talk that he was translating before?