There are Indian millionaires who use mantras with AUM so the  MMY's
argument does not hold water.  You will find reclusive TM practitioners
too which further makes the argument not hold water.  The use of AUM is
called Omkara and there are many intellectual dissertations on its use
(which will probably get trotted out in response to your post) but I
think the real reason the mantras are given without Omkara is they tend
to have a quicker effect that way though not as long lasting nor
balancing.  One writer on the subject, himself a son of an Indian guru,
felt that TM'ers weren't very centered due to not using Omkara.

In ayurveda AUM is recommended as a balancing mantra for vata though RAM
is probably a better choice for a long lasting effect.  From that alone
one might surmise that AUM initially calms the mind and then the shakti
of the mantra following takes effect.