--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2010, at 10:08 AM, tartbrain wrote:
>
> > Simplistic, uninformed view on my part perhaps, but I think we all
> > suffer some degree of personality disorder. Many manifestations are
> > small, not seriously consequential, but they do muck things up at
> > times -- particularly in interactions with others - (as clearly
> > manifest IMO here on FFL). The manifestations are grounds for
> > compassion and empathy in my book, not insults (a form of
> > personality disorder itself, IMO)
>
> If you've ever been around a person with an actual personality
> disorder, it's said while it won't kill you, being around a
> personality disordered person can make you feel like dying, it's that
> unbearable. And while it's nice to be relatively compassionate, it's
> very unlikely to change much in ways of behavior of such a person
> IME. And there is such a thing as stupid or idiot compassion. Very
> common among some New Age type groups and Buddhists. Therefore it
> might be nice to be compassionate to a person who is verbally abusive
> to you the first time they do so, but if they repeatedly berate and
> verbally abuse you or others, there comes a time to draw some firm
> lines and firm boundaries.

Thats good and not at all at odds with what I was getting at -- though I see my
words may have cast me as a compassion-ninny. My point is you don't fight fire
with fire. If someone has a disorder, mild (as exhibited here at times) or
more, it is not productive to yell at them tell them they are stupid, insult
them, and basically try to try to alpha-ape oneself (which is a
disorder(liness)in my view.)

I earned early in my teens, thanks to my father, don't react. Don't respond to
the others out of control, obnoxious or insensitive acts. REacting just adds
fuel to the fire. And FFL is a great demonstration of it. Huge forest fires
that started with a small fire -- and someone reacts in kind, throws fuel on
the fire, and a huge fire ensues.