wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > wrote:
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > You aren't really. Its just a trick of the mind that you
believe
> > > the duality- that there is something external to you. Its a
common
> > > trick of the mind by the way; everyone falls for it at some
point ;)

> > I know you mean it in the nicest possible way,
> > but Jim, I get REALLY REALLY tired of hearing
> > that kind of formulation.  It isn't helpful or
> > inspiring.  It's my working assumption on an
> > intellectual basis, but it doesn't undo the
> > trick.  If it did, I'd have become un-overshadowed
> > many years ago.
>
> See?  Attachment.

Yup, attachment is the trick.  For those still
subject to it, it has to be undone, seen through.

But intellectualizing it doesn't in and of itself
undo the trick.  Something *else* has to happen.

It's like watching Doug Henning perform his
close-up magic.  Intellectually you know it's
a trick, but that doesn't help you see through
it, because it's so well done.  Something *else*
has to happen for you to perceive the trick.

Using Barry's formulation, one could say that
you don't perceive Henning's trick because
you're attached to not perceiving it.

And does understanding that you are attached
to not perceiving the trick help you perceive
the trick?  No, something *else* has to happen.

You can take it back as many levels as you like,
but still the bottom line is that something
*else* has to happen before you see through the
trick.