> On Jul 26, 2005, at 4:33 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:
>
> > Just a question, inspired by my recent read of the latest
> > Harry Potter book.  I remember that a few years after I
> > left the TM movement there was a lot of big talk in the
> > movement about physical immortality.  Immortality was
> > the buzzword du jour.  Whatever became of this fascination?
>
> I always wondered if it had anything to do with the death of Dr.
> Dwivedi, at the time one of the worlds leading experts on rasayana and
> longevity. They were promoting this immortality idea, along with this
> group of Vaidyas who were pasted on every bottle they sold; then he,
> well, died. A friend of mine, an MD, attended one of the TM Ayurveda
> cert. courses presided over by Chopra et al in FF. He really pushed
> some questions on this whole immortality trip they were trying to sell
> and he said basically the gist was the soul/consciousness was immortal
> NOT the physical body--although they contradicted that time after time
> in their phrasing. I imagine it sold a lot of "product" at the time but
> was dropped when someone figured out it was a law suit waiting to
> happen: 'hey I took amrit and PK, etc. and I'm still dying'. He
> commented that some of things at the course was pretty "out there" but
> esp. the tapes they were made to watch of Mahesh. He said he truly was
> left wondering if Mahesh was insane. I remember being shocked of that
> at the time, but he felt he certainly met the criteria. First of many
> wake-up calls.
>
> At the time, the MD's who were certified were allowed to prescribe
> metallic rasayanas, all listed as code names/numbers. They were
> supposed to--for the 7000 dollars it took for the course--refer all
> patients in their area to these new 'instant Vaidyas'--but it never
> really materialized.

Thanks for your input, Vaj.  I have no problem with longevity
being promoted.  I had a good friend who was an apprentice
to a famous Chinese tonic herbalists, and a great deal of their
science revolves around not only long life (tonic herbalists tend
to live well into their 90s and 100s), but about enjoying that life
as long as it goes on.

It's the talk about physical immortality that gets me.  How could
*anyone* who has had a daily taste of dying (for that is what
transcendence is) be in the least concerned about physical
death?  Death is a fear one expects to see in those who *don't*
have any direct experience with eternality.  When a fascination
with physical immortality appears in someone who has taught
meditation for decades, it kinda makes me wonder about that
person's sanity as well.

Unc