Vaj wrote:

>On Jul 25, 2005, at 2:30 PM, Bhairitu wrote:
>

>>Vaj, you seem to focus on Buddhist Tantra.  Have you investigated Hindu
>>Tantra and spoken with Indian tantrics?
>>

>I have to be honest, I have a hard time with these dichotomous labels
>although of course it's helpful for talking about things--and sure
>there are Buddhists who are gungho with that label and Hindu tantrics
>who are the same way. I'm a Nath and Rime (non-sectarian) practitioner
>and don't see a need to side with a camp or a sect. The Nath are said
>to 'practice Hinduism by day and Buddhism by night'. The core that just
>awakens and is not a religion is what appeals to me personally. Both
>are marvelous. So to answer your question, yeah both and I love them
>both. My Nath guru was the last holder of a sect of Uttara Kaulas...but
>he was also recognized as a lama by the Kagyupas, loved taoism and so
>on. It's a non-sectarian trip, a maxim is "don't get caught in limits,
>don't belong to a school."

But I find it important in understanding these schools of thought to
delineate.  To me to "not" try to discern is some kind of "new age"
philosophy.   I don't seem that much semblance between what I've seen in
Buddhist tantra and what I've learned in Indian tantra.   What we *do*
see is the similarity in more abstract terms of shamans, tantrics, witch
doctors, voodoo in the manipulation of the realm of physics through
"supernatural means."  IOW, technology that current material based
science has yet to comprehend.

>Incidentally several of the Mahasiddhas were Brahmins, many (most?)
>were Hindus, some were pundits, etc. He's looking at a hybrid area in
>anuttara tantra of both Hinduism and Buddhism (for example Minanath,
>Matsendranath, etc.)
>

>>   On page 9 of the PDF about
>>tantra you linked to the author states he will not discuss Hindu Tantra
>>I suspect because he didn't know how to find practitioners or again was
>>attracted more to Buddhist thought.
>>

>He is a married lama and translator--IIRC he has a good amount of
>exposure to Hindu tantra, but practices Buddha-dharma and Dzogchen. The
>translation in question is a Buddhist version of the lives of the 84
>Mahasiddhas and so for that reason the intro. covers that context
>primarily.
>

>>  There is a belief that many of the
>>"Indiaphiles" are actually reincarnates of people who in the twentieth
>>century died in the upheavals in India and Tibet are that is why some
>>are attracted to  Hindu thought and some to Buddhist.
>>
>>- Bhairitu
>>

>Yeah I know some who have memories of the Tibetan and Islamic diaspora
>in Tibet and in India. What can I say...god recycles ;-).

On my arrival in Bombay I was overtaken with emotions of "you are
home."  I tried putting it in check as some kind of mood making but it
would not go away.  I felt far more at home in India with the Indian
people than I ever have in the US.  Perhaps you would feel the same
visiting Tibet?
;-)

- Bhairitu