"They" don't need anything, as far as I can see. It is We who need the
attention and love, if We are in pain. And again, I am advocating no particular
action or inaction in the world; actions arise perfectly to meet the needs of
the moment. What I am speaking of is a kind of meta-action, giving loving
attention to our own pain to bring an end to karmic repetition and suffering,
by transmuting all of our demons back into devotees.