I was around when the first sutra/"flying" attempts were made. We were all
sitting in chairs in a circle...there was no sitting on foam mats at that time.
(This was in one of the hotels around Lake Lucern....I forget which now.) This
would have been probably late 1975.

I've mentioned this before since its one of my favorite recollections from that
time, but I'll trot it out one more time:
We would meet every day at the appointed time, meditate and then run the
sutras, finishing with the "flying" sutra. After 3 or 4 days of nothing, my
inner comic finally perked up and I rigged up a device made from a coat hanger
that would fit into my tie. I could then manipulate the rising of my tie with
one finger of my right hand (which was cupped in my left in classic "hands in
lap" mode.)

Several minutes before we were to come out I pulled my right index finger, and
like magic, my tie gently lifted up and floated in front of me. I was even able
to give the tie a little quivering motion, like it was "struggling" to stay in
a levitated state.

I kept my eyes closed while people slowly began coming out. I would hear a gasp
to my left, then a gasp to my right...then more people apparently poking each
other and pointing. For a minute or so, the group, having meditated for 1/2
hour in the midst of a deep rounding anyway, followed by sutras.....thought
they were witnessing the true dawn of a new age. I was doing everything I could
to remain calm and keep my eyes closed. But when I heard one of my buddies
start to chuckle I lost it.

Tellingly, about 1/4 of the group thought it was hilarious. The rest were
horrified and made it clear that this enlightenment business was NO laughing
matter. I think that was probably the moment that the first real crack in my
belief system started.

When you get busted for eating ice cream (another story) and laughing....well,
it's time to exit. It took a few more years but I finally did.