On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 11:22 AM, wayback71 <waybac...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I work with middle school aged children, and I can tell you that The Big
> problem right now is lack of sleep in many of our students.  Most kids these
> days by middle school have their own flat screen TV's in their rooms, a cell
> phone and gaming systems in their bedrooms as well as their laptop.  Do they
> sleep at night?  No way.  Kids are texting til 3 am, playng video games til
> 5 am, and then either can't get up to go to school,or arrive and fall asleep
> in class.  This isn't going away, and parents don't seem to know what to do
> (lock up the items at night - cell, controls for games, laptop).  Kids just
> cannot seem to stop.

We all compulsed over something.  Me, sports, working out, Latin and girls
 I would almost compulsively recite Cicero, practice declensions and
conjugations when not pursing other things.  But I didn't stay up at night
because of this.  I blame it on raging hormones.  That, and glowing up as a
victim a very severe child abuse.

Why are kids today so obsessed with Facebook and messaging?  I suspect it
has something to do with lack of love in the family.  Real, tough love that
tells the children they are loved.  Plus, strange limits placed on them in
school.  Do one thing, it's OK because to stop them would lot foster
self-esteem.  Do something else, the police march into school and arrest
them.   I don't see this obsessive behavior in kids who are home schooled.
 Then again, parents who home school show love for their kids.  They aren't
latchkey kids, their parents set limits early on, and they get attention in
a tradtional corriculum.  The most out of control kids?  The children of
rus, especially the ones who were left alone while parents were doing
program and were allowed to throw their tantrums and cry all they wanted,
even in public and social situations because, well, stopping them would
stress them out.