--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Xenophaneros Anartaxius <anartaxius@>
> wrote:
> <snip>
> > Spiritual development, call it what you will, seems directed
> > to allowing a person to have a single irrefutable experience
> > that settles the matter of the mystery of existence on the
> > basis of their own direct experience.
>
> Or to have their experience change permanently.

Yeah - its great to have an aha! once in awhile, but the most practical value
is one of permanent, ongoing change. :-)

> > This seems to have practical value, at least for the curious.
>
> I'm not sure "settling the matter of the mystery of
> existence" is all there is to it (or even necessarily
> part of it), especially in terms of practical value,
> but close enough for now.

Seems like the only mystery ever solved is that the mystery is never solved.:-)

> > The story, the mythology, spun around this singularity seems
> > without end. Are we missing something?
>
> When a person has any kind of unusual experience, even just
> an unusual sensory experience, they frequently want to talk
> about it, to share it with others, sometimes on a comparative
> basis if there's a possibility others have had similar
> experiences. Isn't that pretty much a feature of human
> nature? In any case, I'd guess that's how the stories and
> mythologies get started and then expanded and perpetuated.

Exactly.:-)

> What do you think we're missing?
>
> > Speaking of material facts, the Japan earthquake moved the
> > main island about 2.4 metres, or about 8 feet, and shortened
> > the length of Earth's day by 1.8 microseconds (we're spinning
> > a bit faster now - is this somehow related to discussions on
> > this forum?).

I heard that too - I can't imagine the entire island of Japan shifting eight
feet. That, and the immensity of this catastrophe is incomprehensible.