I think the movement jumped the shark with the inauguration of the World
Government in '76?  He had gotten too Howard Hughes in Seelisberg IMO.  That
was well before the sidhis confirmed that the shark had been jumped.

But I do remember the descriptions of his time at the Olsen's house that lead
me to believe that he was quite an accomplished user and manipulator of people
for his own benefit even back in those more innocent days.  It could all be
chalked up to his religious convictions and all, but he did demonstrate a bit
more my needs over your needs than your average person.  Throw in the Judith
revelations and we see a high level selfishness and disregard for others at the
very least.