Neutrality, percipience, and non-agency

Most of everything we know is we know
through our eyes, ears, and sometimes with
our nose. That is, we observe things and
events, we see doors, tables, and chairs.

But, are there other kinds of valid knowledge?

We can also run and jump, think, and talk to
our friends. So, we also get knowledge from
experience and from others, and we can read
  books.

  [Wikipedia Commons Photo]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldorado,_Texas>

Somewhere in Eldorado, Texas

In Sankhya-Yoga system, according to
Theos Bernard, writing in 'Foundations of
Hindu Philosophy', the phenomenal universe
is considered a dynamic order, "...an eternal
process unfolding, without beginning or
end."

In order to avoid the fallacy of regressus
ad infinitum, which is not consistent with
rational solutions, Samkhya postulates an
'Uncaused Cause', which remains undefined,
as it is beyond, or transcendental to, human
intellect. "This absolute is beyond time and
space, without attribute and form, and is
forever removed from empirical scrutiny".

True evolution, according to Samkhya,
exists ONLY in the transformation of cosmic
consciousness, Purusha, to the physical
substance, prakriti, and that the
manifestations of the physical and biological
world, are only modifications of five gross
elements.

This sounds very reasonable since this can
be confirmed by observation. Bernard
notes that Samkhya "...views the evolutes of
matter from its cosmic cause as a process
of unfolding, a projection of potentialities
according to fixed laws that can be
understood by man" (68).

According to the sage Kapila, creation is
impossible, for something cannot come out
of nothing; change implies something to
change; whatever is, always is, and whatever
is not, never is. As Kapila states:

"And from the contrast with that which is
composed of the three constituents, there
follows, for the Purusha, the character of
Being, a witness; freedom from misery,
neutrality, percipience, and non-agency"
(XVII).

For the investigation of the causal process,
Samkhya recognizes three means of valid
knowledge, and three only. What three?

Perception, inference, and personal
testimony - are the valid means of knowledge;
comprehended in these three, used in
particular instances depending on what is
to be known.

For example, perception is to be used for
objects which are in contact with sense
organs; inference is used for knowledge of
those things of which only the characteristic
marks are known, and testimony is used for
knowledge of those things that are beyond
the logical analysis of the mind.

Works cited:

'Foundations of Hindu Philosophy'
by Theos Bernard, Ph.D.
Author of 'Hatha Yoga', 'Penthouse of the Gods',
'Heaven Lies Within' etc., etc.
Philosophical Library, 1947

'The Samkhyakarika of Isvarakrishna'
Samkhyakarika, trans. and ed. by S. Sastri
University of Madras, 1935