On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 8:38 PM, emptybill <emptyb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sometimes spectacular sacred art is just in the backyard.
>
> Holy Trinity Monastery, Jordanville, NY
> http://www.jordanville.org/public/sv/gallery.php?ssid=275

I grew up going RC, Greek and Russian Orthodox churches.   One of my most
transcendental experience in the RC church was attending novenas.  You kneel
there and stare and say the rosary.  And you're a child.  Quickly out.  No
Hail Marys, no thoughts, no sleep.  The rites in the Greek and Russian
churches are even more transcendental and assuredly a lot of shakti.  You
could cut the power with a knife.  Been to Orthodox churches in the Soviet
Union when it existed, in Poland, in the Middle East and of course to Coptic
Orthodox churches and monasteries.  Small wonder most of my RC friends went
renegade and joined Archbishop lefebvre's church.   There was so much power
pre-Vatican II and there's so very much power in the orthodox churches.
And much more moving art, once you get used to its iconic nature.