> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TM-Sidhi

Just read it. I think it's remarkably balanced and neutral
in tone, and very largely accurate, with a few minor errors.

> I certainly don't think they should change this:

It's not clear why Barry thinks anybody would want to
change any of the points he lists. The judge's dismissal
of the TM-Sidhis case on the basis of the constitutional
definition of religion and the quotes from various
critics are all well documented. (Note that the *validity*
of these opinions isn't documented, nor does it need to
be, nor in many cases *could* it be. And a big effort has
been made to quote rebuttals by TM proponents for most of
the critical opinions, which is about as fair as one
could ask for. Unsurprisingly, Barry doesn't quote those.)

For example:

<snip>
> "Physicist and skeptic Robert L. Park called the [1993
> Washington D.C.] study a "clinic in data distortion". Park
> questioned the validity of the study by saying that during
> the weeks of the experiment Washington, D.C.'s weekly murder
> count hit the highest level ever recorded."

The next paragraph:

"Maxwell Rainforth, Assistant Professor of Physiology
and Health and Statistics at Maharishi University of
Management and a coauthor of the Washington, D.C.
study, acknowledged that the 36-hour period [during
the eight-week study period] was 'horrific,' but said
that, from a scientific perspective, it was a
statistical outlier because homicides by themselves
constituted a small data set. He said that homicides
comprised 3% of violent crimes in the year of the
study (1993). Rainforth characterized Park's
criticisms of the study as 'superficial, highly
polemical' and 'willfully misleading', and that his
objections to the use of time series analysis and
other statistical methods were not based on
scientific arguments. He also questioned whether Park
had read the published study, since his criticism
focused on a preliminary Interim Report released at a
press conference in 1994."

And in the description of the project and its results
is this:

"At a 1994 press conference to announce the analysis of
that study, Hagelin said that, during the period of the
experiment Washington, D.C. experienced a significant
reduction in psychiatric emergency calls, fewer complaints
against the police, and an increase in public approval of
President Bill Clinton. Overall, there was an 18% reduction
in violent crime during the study period, he told the
press."

> So I guess what Card is suggesting is that TM TBs might
> want to go in and edit the Wikipedia article, performing
> data distortion on top of data distortion.  :-)

No, that isn't what Card is suggesting. He actually
hasn't suggested anything. Rather, he wonders (see his
subject heading) if there are any *corrections* to be
made. Also, there clearly were TM proponents among the
people who wrote the article in the first place, or it
wouldn't be so balanced.

I think this article is an example of the Wikipedia
process in dealing with a controversial topic at its
very best. Everyone involved should be congratulated
on the result.