--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
<anartaxius@...> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
> > <anartaxius@> wrote:
> > > I was not implying there are only two sides to this issue,
>
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@> replied:
> > No, I meant two as in more than one, not as in fewer than
> > three (or more)! IOW, sometimes there is only one valid
> > "side" (the earth revolves around the sun), and there's no
> > need to give the "other side" (the sun revolves around the
> > earth) equal time in the name of balance. That just creates
> > confusion.
>
> Stephen Hawking recently was writing about effective theories.
> One of his examples was the Earth-Sun relationship. The Sun
> going around the Earth is an effective theory. It has a
> certain resolution. For example it explains the way the sun
> looks when it rises and sets, but does rather poorly in
> explaining how the planets similarly move through the sky.
> So the theory has a certain usefulness. Not useful for
> astronomy any more, or space travel.
>
> The theory that the Earth goes around the Sun is also an
> effective theory. According to Newtonian Mechanics, it is
> actually wrong, the Earth and Sun revolve around a common
> centre of mass, which is somewhere inside the surface of
> the sun. So the statement Earth revolves around the Sun
> is also wrong at a certain level of resolution. And there
> are other gravitation forces, other stars that gravitationally
> interact with the Sun and Earth, so the motion is even more
> complicated, but it is usually not necessary to take these
> into account unless trying to calculate positions of stars
> hundreds of thousands of years in the past or future.
>
> I suppose I could argue with you that the Earth goes around
> the Sun is obviously wrong, but in this discussion that not
> the point you were attempting to get across.

<head spinning> Right, certainly interesting, but not
my point. How about "GOP Says Earth Is Flat; Democrats
Disagree"? Any better? You could say a flat earth is an
"effective theory" too, I guess, so maybe not.

> I actually sometimes, when watching a sunrise imagine that
> I am on a sphere, and the rotation of the Earth is bringing
> me into view of the sun, and at the same time there is also
> a horizontal motion of the Earth relative to the sun that
> is its revolution around the sun. But most of the time, it
> is just, oh, the Sun is coming up, and that has even less
> resolution than the Sun going around the Earth hypothesis
> because I do not even think of that.

The perceptual environment in which we make our way
through life and the *real* environment in which we
are situated are amazingly different. I sometimes
try, without much success, to see the sun as a
gigantic ball of unimaginably hot gases 93 million
miles away rather than as a smallish but very bright
spotlight moving across a domed ceiling.

And just this very minute, it occurred to me that I
don't perceive daylight as a function of the sun's
illumination, but almost the reverse: the sun appears
when it's daylight. No kidding, I never realized this
was my habitual perception before! Boy, that sun is
way brighter than I thought.

> I do agree with you that an argument can be pointless, but
> we do have to be on guard to argue cognizant of the level
> of understanding of our opponent, and it may be with
> certain ones, such argument will be eternally fruitless.

True. Or they may have a different conceptual framework,
or even just one from which pieces are missing. I think
of a very bright friend of mine years ago when she started
a new job that required her to learn to use a computer.
She called me a few days later deeply perplexed. She'd
been told to put a report she'd been working on on a
floppy disk to give to someone else to look at while she
finished up the details. "How am I supposed to keep
working on it," she wanted to know, "when I've given it
to Joe?"

> I think Einstein's view of the revolution of the Sun and
> Earth is probably beyond my ability to visualize, as it
> takes in not just ideas like centre of mass, but time
> dilation resulting from warped space and the equivalence
> of mass and energy. Newton was wrong. The orbit of Mercury
> around the Sun fits Einstein's theory instead. No one has
> yet found a way to dethrone Einstein. When we argue
> (logically, not an altercation) we have to be discussing
> the same level of resolution of the situation or we get
> equivocation, or using the same words but with different
> meanings, understandings.

At least for this topic, we have an ultimate authority.

> Facts are a good place to start. If I have an orange in my
> right hand, and nothing in my left hand, what are the facts
> here? If I have an invisible, incorporeal orange in my right
> hand, and nothing in my left hand, what are the facts here?
> Both hands look the same. Which one has the invisible orange?
> A lot of arguments regarding spirituality reflect these two
> situations, and why such arguments are never resolved.

What do you say when the other party insists the fact is
that there's no such thing as an invisible, incorporeal
orange?

> How does one differentiate between different incorporeal
> entities? How can we evaluate private internal experiences
> of another, how can we judge what they are really trying to
> describe, or are they just describing what their thoughts
> are telling them what an experience is supposed to be like,
> but they have not actually had it themselves?

Lots of pitfalls. But does that mean we shouldn't even
take a shot at it?

As I said to Curtis the other day in a slightly different
context, the fact that words are an inadequate tool for
the task tells us something about the nature of what we're
trying to discuss, in and of itself.

> If someone has an incorporeal orange in their possession,
> I do hope that is all they have to eat and drink.

<puzzled> Why?