--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "emptybill" <emptybill@...> wrote:

> I'm thinking "pedestrian" is an adequate summary of his
> multiple musings posing as insight.

Not bad as a one-word description, but there's really
more to it than that. Just for one thing, a pedestrian
writer's work isn't necessarily devoid of self-
knowledge, nor is such a writer necessarily careless
about logic, or about truthfulness, for that matter.

> Perhaps you have a better one but you can save it for a sunny day.
> Why waste a good post describing the waifing scent of garbage?

Well, 'cause I'm challenging him to do *better*.

You know, it occurs to me that perhaps his problem is
that he's been stuck for so long making his living
writing software documentation--which he *has* to take
time and care with, or he'd be fired--that when he
writes for his own pleasure, he can't bear to
discipline himself to impose the same constraints on
his output.

I guess that's understandable, if so, but it's a shame.
Maybe one way to go would be for him to be selective
about what he ends up posting. Write all the
unconstrained garbage he wants, but not post it; then
pick out a few pieces every week that have some
potential and spend a bit of time and effort revising
them until they're as good as he can possibly make
them, and only then post them.

Now that I think about it, I wonder whether his
compulsion to write putdowns here is really a matter
of displaced anger at having to write nothing but
technical stuff at work. Maybe MMY/TM/TMers are just
convenient targets on which to let out his
frustration at not having the kind of writing career
he always dreamed of.

I mean, when he first announced years ago that he was
moving to Paris, it was supposedly to work on a novel
he said he was writing about the Cathars. But we haven't
heard anything about that in quite some time.

Maybe he should be urged to go back to the novel instead
of wasting his time inflicting rubbish on FFL. Maybe
raising his sights would unleash some real creativity.

Or maybe not...