--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, tartbrain <no_reply@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb no_reply@ wrote:
> >

> > when people didn't respond to his announced enlight-
> > enmentitudeness the way he wanted them to.
>
> As elaborated in an adjacent post, the 10,000 Q&A at the mic between
MMY and those on the course were often about experiences. I never saw a
big reaction from MMY. No "hot damn! thats IT! You GOT it bro!! High
five!"

> One got guidance, but not ego boosting (which is a step in the counter
direction). Sometimes there was ego busting.

> The / a lesson from witnessing this huge Q&A parade was that:
>
> 1) experiences were natural, they were not something to make a big
fuss about, no special status was given, everything from normalization
to peak experiences were part of the whole, no need to make a big fuss
about the whole.

> 2) even the most detailed clear experiences were basically classified
as "hmm, something good is happening, but that's not IT." That is, what
many self-diagnosed, and perhaps self-confirmed to be higher states were
not. It produced a certain healthy rational skepticism about
self-confirmed claims of higher states.

> 3) one generally didn't talk about their experiences outside of the
Q&A with MMY. Progress was being made was the only important thing. No
need to talk about it or broadcast it.

> 4) Sort of like "the first rule of enlightenment club is there is no
enlightenment club".

Good points, but there seems to be a pretty big reconstructionist
movement here.  I enjoy your posts because you acknowledge both sides of
the issue.  I've got to say that Barry pushes, I mean really pushes,
"the this guy was an average Joe", no more enlightened than the baker
down the street POV.  If I understand what Barry often says, (and I'm
sure I don't), he pretty much debunks the whole notion of higher states
of conscioussness.  Curtis too seems to be in this camp.  Pretty much it
can be chalked up to random brain activity,  that we humans like to
chalk up to something special.   I guess since we can't prove it in an
objective way, it's all subjective speculation.

Me (as Barry would say).  I got too much wonder going on to buy into
that.