Quote from a book review in Boston.com:

"Since time immemorial, curious people have asked where the universe came from.
Nowadays we have a secular answer: the Big Bang. And yet that answer,
incredible as it may be, is only partially satisfying. After all, we can still
ask where the Big Bang came from; and we can still wonder, sensibly enough, how
something (the universe) could come from nothing (whatever came before it).

"In his new book, On Being, Peter Atkins, a British chemist and science writer,
offers an intriguing answer to those questions. To understand how something can
come out of nothing, he writes, you have to appreciate the fact that 'there
probably isn't anything here anyway.'...

"...The Big Bang doesn't mark, necessarily, the creation of something out of
nothing....Instead, it marks the emergence of texture, differentiation, and
particularity out of even, unchanging featurelessness. It's not something out
of nothing, but interestingness out of boredom."

Read more:

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/brainiac/2011/06/the_big_nothing.html

http://tinyurl.com/43gjwv8