Follett is not a good writer, but he does tell a good story and I liked the
history involved.   Shardlake is on my list for this Fall. I added him when you
posted your suggestions a few months ago.  I just read At Home by Bill Bryson
and really enjoyed all the historical info, now reading People of the Book by
Geraldine Brooks (again not literature, but the history is good - about saving
and restoring an old haggadah). Cleopatra by Stacey Shiff is next, then
Shardlake.