I don't consider Amma as an avatar or divine mother, IMO most who do are
just engaging in an intellectual concept. Not that there's anything
wrong with it, since the very faith, trust transforms. However IME she
is definitely a Satguru and a very very rare and a special person, not
considering her as an avatar or divine mother is not at all a handicap
by any means. The key is not outside of you, it's just that with her
grace it so much easier.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Denise Evans <dmevans365@...>
wrote:

> That explains it....I knew there was a reason were were praying to
Amma as God - Â or God and Goddess as the case may be!
> What about Jesus? Â Does he qualify as an avatar? Â
>
> Interestingly, I met a woman who travels extensively to follow both
Amma and Mother Meera. Â She's lower key at this point, but so was
Amma at one point before celebrity hit.

all. That is why the name of Amma is prevalent throughout the bhajans
and elsewhere. There is no difference between praying to God and praying
to an avatar. A familiar example of this is how in MMY's Gita, Krishna
is referred to as the Lord.

> An interesting case is that of Mother Meera. Mother Meera is also an
avatar and recommends that seekers do japa (repeating the name of the
divine as often during the day as possible) to Mother Meera. Yet, Mother
Meera is as far from being a guru-led organization  and/or a cult as can
be.

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "dmevans365" dmevans365@ wrote:
>

> > I am writing this as an account of my and my children's
participation in a recent Amma retreat. As background: I was laid off a
stressful job in corporate america in January after many years in a
deadline-driven career.  We were invited by a friend to attend the
retreat. I was curious and interested in meeting a "saint" who
supposedly embodies the concepts of love and compassion. I have no
background in the Hindu religion, Indian culture, or "guru" philosophy.
I am not religious but believe in God, as the universe and nature, and
our ability to access and receive personal guidance and help from the
"source" energy. I believe that God is love. I attended with my heart
wide open to possibilities and encouraged my kids to do the same.

> > I attended the free program on Friday around 3 in the afternoon to
introduce myself to the environment I had signed us up for the following
3 days. Loud Indian chant music was playing, many things were being
sold, people were standing in line, the energy in the room was apparent.
I purchased white clothing and a book and a cute little "tiny Amma" doll
for myself and the kids. I had little idea what to expect, having never
attended anything quite like this, but stayed in place of
"non-judgement" and was excited.

> > Over the next three days, I followed the program plan schedule.
Receiving a hug from Amma was not like any hug I've ever received in
that we were all physically positioned, but it seemed understandable
that with so many people, a procedure needed to be in place. (I asked
many about this and heard that this is because of the time involved in
darshan - many apparently get spaced out seeing her and need to be
physically moved away and when hugging thousands, every second counts).
I did not feel an intimacy or personal connection or feeling of love and
compassion. Something was repeated in monotone in my ear that I didn't
understand. Shortly after receiving our hugs, however, we were all
completely wired. I told the kids I felt like I had received an "energy
transfer" or "hit" during the exchange. It didn't feel bad, but not good
either, and we could sense that Amma seemed to be a "powerful person"
energetically.

> > Saturday morning we were up early for breakfast and to stand in
line. One of my daughters and I were signed up to attend the IAM
meditation courses - hers being the youth one - and so wanted to get our
hugs in early.  We were in line starting at 8 AM, listened to the Swami
from 9 to 10, sat and waited for Amma to arrive at 10 AM, and then
waited and moved up through the heavily orchestrated and controlled
process. This time we went individually and brought our "questions" that
we kept in our minds, as Amma could supposedly intuit and respond.
Again, a "manhandled" hug routine (hands placed particularly, head
pushed forward on chest, with a monotone repetition of a word in the
right ear).

> > I attended the IAM meditation course and enjoyed it, but was put off
by the requirement to sign a confidentiality agreement. It was at this
point I began to feel like I was being encouraged to pray to Amma -
based on the Swami lectures, instruction and visualization received
during the meditation. Amma was continually reinforced as the "form" to
keep in our minds.

> > We continued through the weekend - were full of so much energy
Sunday evening that we worked out between 10-11 PM. We did our Seva at
dinner by helping load dishes into the cart, which was fun.  We
participated in standing in line for hours and receiving hugs in the
morning and evening, wanting to follow the scripted schedule and also
waiting to feel this overwhelming "love connection" that so many talked
about. We received blessed candy and got the dolls blessed.

> > Monday I was up at 6:15 to do the yoga class. Monday evening was
Dhevi Bhava - lots of ceremony and long, translated talk that was
starting to feel very top down and condescending. Blessed water,
chanting to music, change in Amma's costume to the crown and gown, and
the hugs began with the loud bhajans (music) sung by a swami and group
in the background.

> > The music/chanting was very loud, repetitive, and mesmerizing; the
Swami's voice was very hypnotic; the Swami lectures were full of what
seemed like very conflicting messages which confused me on several
levels  (is the underlying message that we should all pray to Amma as
God?), and I was feeling like I was on some kind of wierd emotional and
energetic high. I decided also that I wanted a mantra to aid me on my
path of forgiveness. So I said the word "mantra" at the last hug as
instructed. I knew nothing of mantras or initiation and clearly
misunderstood what they are. I read the sheet passed around. I was
shepherded into a circle with others and asked for my definition of God
- I stated "the Universe." I was told that a mantra did not address any
aspects of God, such as forgiveness, but that this would bring me closer
to God and would be a personal, exactly right thing for me to repeat, as
whispered to me by Amma.

> > We were also told that giving a mantra to someone who hasn't studied
with their guru for years is unusual, so because of Amma's great love
and compassion for us, we needed to understand that our accepting this
mantra meant that we were committing ourselves to her - she would help
us through our karma in this life and the subsequent lives and we would
devote ourselves to her as our guru. Hmmmm....I realized that I wasn't
sure about this, but continued through the process as I was too far in
to retreat and I continued to be curious as to when the "connection" to
her would occur.

> > I did receive a mantra while she was giving someone else a hug and
while I was again, "positioned" on a stool next to her. The lady in
charge of listening pulled a printed mantra from a recipe box and handed
it to me. I was then shepherded to another swami with a group to get it
"translated" and make sure that we could pronounce it.  Each mantra was
supposed to be secret - while we held our hands over our ears, he told
each person what their mantra meant. I could hear, however, and also
could see his lips....all mantras meant one of two things....either
bowing down to "supreme consciousness" or bowing down to the "divine
mother". This put me off completely as again, there was a big
discrepancy in what was supposed to be a deeply personal and private
thing and the reality of what seemed a highly generic description. I
could feel myself shutting down....I went to go get my younger daughter
who had spent hours in the event hall subjected to all the energy
>  and devotion and ritual and music - it was around midnight at this
point. She was crying and said she was going to "miss Amma."  I bought
her a photo to appease her and another book (Awaken Children I) for me
as I still didn't understand what we were experiencing. We left with all
the blessed candy, water, dolls, books, clothing, photos and IAM
instructions intact.

> > The following day I was in a state of emotional and mental and
spiritual confusion and googling what the sanskrit terms in my mantra
meant to better understand what I had signed up for. I was resistant to
doing the mantra and ended up spending the rest of the day continuing my
search on the internet re: Amma.

> > I could not find anything much on the internet that wasn't clearly
part of the PR campaign with regard to Amma, her projected image, and
her Swami's. What I did find opposing Amma seemed to be written with
inflammatory and emotional language - also not what I wanted as a
reasonable discussion.

> > I finally found the examma link on Yahoo Groups and asked to join. I
was concerned about my younger daughter's rapid fascination with all
this. I was also confused and disturbed about the effect of the weekend
on my own psyche, sending me into a state of internal confusion re: the
inconsistencies I felt and the pressure to conform to Amma's projected
image and mission. I spent hours reading posts starting from the first
one and moving forward through the years. On Thursday, mid-day, still
reading, I went and threw out everything -  program, book, blessed
candy, blessed water, picture, CD, doll, meditation instruction,
information sheet, etc.  I continued to read posts, focusing primarily
on the first person accounts.

> > It seems that I exposed myself and my children to a weekend of
intense indoctrination to Amma. Everything we experienced, including how
the weekend was scheduled; the production aspects affecting our senses;
the visuals; the programs; the music; the waiting in line; the corporate
commercial focus; the 8-hours of meditation instruction; the lectures;
the pumping of Swami's guided meditation into the dining hall at
breakfast was geared towards the attendees celebrating and accepting
Amma as our guru and the incarnation to pray to.

> > I don't dispute the message of love and compassion, but the
particulars of the "how" in the context of Amma and the organization
absolutely warrant evaluation.  Responses to questions with the answers
that "ego is in play" or "the soul may not be ready" tend to negate
thoughtful analysis or objective consideration of the positive and
negative issues associated.

> > It took me a couple of weeks to recover and I felt ike I was invaded
by an energy that I subsequently needed to clear. I was a complete
novice to this. I acknowledge that this movement likely didn't start out
with the seeming current corporate, capitalist, convert/follower focus
and the larger picture concepts of love and compassion continue to hold
true as ideals, regardless of the interpreter. However, it seems that at
this point, Amma is human in many respects and that the Amma
organization and possibly Amma herself has evolved to serve and expand
the very ego she professes against. Namaste.