Willy must still be stuck in the 1970s?  Even in the 1980s we had word
wrap in message panes.  No one should have to do any special formatting
for a regular message here.  I use email and Thunderbird to read and
post.  Not sure it if is Thunderbird or Yahoo but people will sometimes
complain if the start of my post doesn't fall below the quoted.  But
others do that too.  Most of the time I try to remember to add an extra
return.  One thing those retro posters who preformat are forgetting:
they're posts don't format well on a smartphone which can have a
*narrower* pane.  The posts where people don't bother to "preformat"
will format just fine on a smartphone email client.