Yes, Bob, this is what I heard many years ago. Basically Devendra was given no
special instruction whatsoever and sent off to the caves to meditate, rounding
with his TM. Eventually, he began to become unhinged - as will happen if one
does not have very personalized instruction in such practices - one will
eventually go insane. Such practice bear no similarity to TM or any of it's
associated practices. Devendra eventually realized that Mahesh didn't know what
he was doing and wasn't who he said he was, and he escaped penniless to never
be heard, again and dropping all association with the "Maharishi".

FYI, such practices as done in caves or darkness are a highly specialized set
of practices that demand close instruction from a master with direct knowledge
of how they're applied. For many people, they spend a period of time
alternating between meditating in the light of day and the darkness of the cave
(or retreat hut). Others can 'take to it' relatively quickly. The teacher plays
a vital role, as one gains instruction step by step, based on ones individual
experiences as they unfold.

But clearly Mahesh had no training in any such thing, and poor Devendra paid
for that ignorance. Just because someone tacks the word yogi onto their name
and dresses in expensive silks does not make them a yogi. Caveat emptor.