No, this isn't the rag-on-Judy rap you're expecting. :-) Au contraire,
Pierre. Instead it's an appreciation of what a good editor can do for
aspiring writers when they do it right.

I really think Judy might enjoy Woody Allen's "Midnight In Paris," if
for no other reason than to see Kathy Bates' performance in the film as
Gertrude Stein. As several film critics have noted, she really captures
the magic of this formidable woman, remarkably the same magic Hemingway
saw in her in "A Moveable Feast."

She was more than editor and critic; she was mentor. Her genius was in
recognizing talent, and then generously and compassionately nurturing
it, rather than squashing it. Try to imagine, watching the film, what
hearing raw, uncaring criticism from Gertrude Stein would have done to
poor Gil. It could have sent him running back to the safe mediocrity of
writing safe mediocre scripts for Hollywood.

Instead she found a way to appreciate his good qualities as a writer and
gently push them in a direction that might be more acceptable to an
audience outside his own head. I really gained an appreciation of what a
good editor could be watching this performance, and interestingly that
it's congruent with what a good spiritual teacher (as opposed to the bad
ones we talk about often) could be. The magic seems to lie in "spotting
talent" and encouraging it. While there is room in this process for
"tough love," and telling an aspiring writer (or an aspiring spiritual
seeker) that they haven't quite got everything nailed yet, there is a
way of saying this that "builds them up" as opposed to "tearing them
down." I wish more editors were like Gertrude Stein, as portrayed in
this film. For that matter, I wish more spiritual teachers were like
her.