<snip>
> She was more than editor and critic; she was mentor. Her
> genius was in recognizing talent, and then generously and
> compassionately nurturing it, rather than squashing it.

Don't know how she's portrayed in the film, but while
she was a mentor, she actually wasn't either an editor
or a literary critic in any formal sense, just on an
ad hoc basis. She was, of course, herself a writer;
that's what she's primarily known for.

<snip>
> While there is room in this process for "tough love," and
> telling an aspiring writer (or an aspiring spiritual
> seeker) that they haven't quite got everything nailed yet,
> there is a way of saying this that "builds them up" as
> opposed to "tearing them down."

Duh. If you want the writer to keep writing, you damn well
better build them up. Knowing how to deliver critiques to
help writers develop their skills without discouraging
them is essential for an editor.

(See my post #277649 for a small example.)