--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> No. No, you don't. Spending isn't "out of control," and
> the worst *possible* time to cut back on spending is in a
> recession. Plus which, comparisons to Greece or Italy or
> Portugal are specious; those countries don't have the
> fiscal tools and flexibility and resources the U.S. does.
  I understand, but I thought we spent many tens of billions on the
stimulus package, and don't have much to show for it.
> Reducing the deficit by cutting spending is only going to
> do more harm to the economy, and it isn't necessary in
> the short term. We need to get the economy back on its
> feet before trying to tackle the deficit.
When people say the the economy back on its feet, I think that means
create more jobs.  How do you do that when manufacuring and even
professional jobs such as accounting jobs have been outsourced, and
continue to be outsourced?
> > So, I don't even know if that would not have been the
> > best way to go, as painful and dysfunctional as it
> > would have been. But I feel he has done the best he
> > could under the circumstances. The people on this
> > forum seem to fault him for not pushing the liberal
> > agenda hard enough.
>
> How sure are you that he *wants* to pursue a liberal
> agenda?
Well, the health care reform was his number priority.  He was not able
to get the reform that he wanted.  People argue that he traded away the
most important parts of that.  Legislation is often like that,
especially with the powerful interests that intensely lobbied it to keep
or remove certain parts of the legislation.   I think it was recommended
by some of his advisors, namely Rahm Emmanuel that he go for a less
sweeping reform - one that had a better chance of passage in the way he
envisioned it.  But whether you can say he really wanted the reforms in
the first place, I don't know, but I don't think that was the case.  I
think he very much wanted the reforms.
> > I don't know if they reckoned the extent to which the
> > oppostion would go in stopping this agenda.
>
> I dare you to read this article by Glenn Greenwald
> on Salon.com:
I read it, although briefly.  I think I understand his points.  But the
political climate does change.  Seems to me you didn't have the tea
partiers back then.  Some big differences between then and now.  I
didn't feel that the article made the stongest case for why the
President is ineffectual  or seems ineffecual.   Maybe the idea
proffered by Maharishi that national leaders can only give the people
what they deserve is as good a theory as any other.

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2011/08/18/obama_v_bus\
h/index.html