--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seventhray1" <steve.sundur@> wrote:

<snip>
> > > I dare you to read this article by Glenn Greenwald
> > > on Salon.com:
> >
> > I read it, although briefly.  I think I understand his points.
> > But the political climate does change.  Seems to me you didn't
> > have the tea partiers back then.
>
> You had Democrats who were very strongly opposed to
> many of Bush's agenda items, but he got most of them
> through anyway.
>
> > Some big differences between then and now.

Another big difference, BTW, was that Obama came into
office with a huge mandate and all kinds of goodwill,
including a Democratic House and (for a month or so
anyway) a filibuster-proof Democratic majority in the
Senate. Bush didn't have a mandate (Gore won the
popular vote, remember), and he had a great deal of
ill will because of how he "won."