I have watched some movies from the former Soviet Block.  They now have
big box stores that look like a mix between Walmart and Costco.  There
was a hilarious comedy involving a bunch of employees of such a store.
It's probably on NF but I don't recall the title (rented it at Hollywood
Video when they were around).

The closest big box store to me is Walmart which is a little over a mile
away.  It was the local Costco but the city wouldn't let them build a
bigger store so they built a bigger store in the adjacent city.  Fry's
Electronics wanted the building too but the city fathers decided they
wanted Walmart instead.  That was a slap in the face to the Fry's family
because they are from this town.  Being a tech geek I would probably
already be broke having such a "candy store" that nearby.  Fry's took
over an abandoned Levitz about 7 miles away.

Don't hold your breathe too much on Walmart expansion.  They are already
feeling the pinch from the economy.  If you want business you need
customers with money.  And right now that customer total is diminishing
as people lose their source of income.  And that is the banksters
fault.  Walmart is now getting into smaller stores these days.

I don't shop at Walmart that much but I'm not about to drive the extra 3
miles to Target which is the same game different outfit (sorry Alex).
I often just walk through Walmart to see what is up.  And if I do buy
things there they often are US made products.  For instance Walgreen's
had been selling Old Wisconsin Turkey Bites.  Compared to the other
turkey snacks out there Old Wisconsin has all natural snacks, no MSG.
Walmart began selling the Turkey Bite packages at $2.50 a pack.  They
were $2.50 a pack at Walgreen's if you bought two.  Walgreen's now only
carries the Beef Bites and Turkey Sticks.  The other day when I picked
up a pack of the Turkey Bites at Walmart the clerk remarked "these are
really popular" and when I told her they were all natural and had no MSG
her eyes lit up.  Now they will have another customer.

Walmart still gets some of my money without going there.  They bought
the Vudu HD streaming video company last year and I often rent films
"still in theaters" there or foreign and indie films that may take
forever to come to NF.