Love those clips!  It's all in how one defines the word "real".

--- On Sun, 8/21/11, turquoiseb <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

From: turquoiseb <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Managing an attractive young woman with large
breasts
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, August 21, 2011, 3:34 AM

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_reply@...> wrote:

> Just occurred to me, are "them" real or fake?? :o

The answer to this koan was more easily realized
on Spanish beaches. There the jiggle factor was
the the big tell. Or, if the woman in question was
reclining, whether "them" remained pointing stead-
fastly towards the midheaven, or more gracefully
went with the natural tendency of gravity.

But all of this stuff Curtis is reporting from David
Eagleman's book has me wondering how we tell whether
*anything* we perceive is real or fake. If the mind
has such an extraordinary ability to shape false data
into what it believes is true, is anything we believe
to be real really real?

Naturally, this leads me to a discussion of a movie.

This whole subject of "What is real?" reminded me of
a 1974 SciFi classic made on a shoestring budget by
John Carpenter and Dan O'Bannon, then still in film
school. If you haven't seen it, the necessary back
story for this clip is that a bomb big enough to blow
up an entire planet before it falls into the sun and
causes a supernova that could endanger a to-be-colonized
star system, mistakenly gets the order to detonate. This
is problematic, because it's still stuck in the bomb bay.
As far as the bomb knows, it's been given the order to
detonate, thus fulfilling its purpose in life. The crew
is trying to stop the bomb from exploding, and in
desperation one of the crew decides to teach the
bomb epistemology.

AI bomb being taught epistemology:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjGRySVyTDk

The bomb's resulting epiphany: