* * Beautiful glimpses of the Fair; many thanks, RD! Loved all your foods on a
stick. Despite the picture of a salad-on-a-stick I saw in the corner of the
second floor of the butter-cow pavilion, I didn't really see how that could
work. Seemed that unless you performed a sword-swallowing trick, most of the
lettuce would end up in your lap or on the floor.

Speaking of calories-direct-to-ass, did you ever try the deep-fried candy bar?
I was briefly tempted, but decided not.... My wife sampled the lamb-burger and
the ostrich jerky (which latter I nibbled a corner of -- tasted a lot like the
Slim Jims of my boyhood), and we both did enjoy the lemonade with Iowa honey! A
much softer and more well-rounded flavor than the usual sugar-jiggered lemonade.

Man, that place is *huge* -- after traipsing across the entire grounds --
sometimes with help of a tractor-drawn caravan -- we wanted to close by
checking out the buckskinners' camp, but reluctantly decided to give it a pass,
as it was on the far end of the grounds from where our bus would take us back
to our car. so we opted for Trader Joe's instead. Wow. Talk about food! Well
worth the extra drive to West Des Moines.... Next time, I will probably try the
chevre mixed with wild blueberries and vanilla that I considered there :-)