...is a laugh track. You know, that canned laughter that they used to
insert into TV sitcoms. The outbursts of cleared pre-recorded laughter
never really gave the impression that the show was being filmed in front
of a live audience, because even an idiot could tell it was canned. It
always seemed to me more designed to tell the audience what parts of the
show were supposed to be funny (even if they weren't), and thus when
they should laugh at home. It was like remedial education for the
laugh-impaired.

I always wanted to take a really terrible episode of one of those shows
and re-edit it, putting the laugh tracks in completely different places.
Instead of inserting them after the punchline of a bad joke, I'd throw
them in when there was an outbreak of bad acting. Or really lame
dialogue. Or in completely inappropriate moments, as in this clip from
Pulp Fiction:

http://www.dula.tv/watch.php?file=pulp-fiction-with-a-laugh-track.flv
<%20http://www.dula.tv/watch.php?file=pulp-fiction-with-a-laugh-track.fl\
v>

That's what FFL needs in my opinion, a laugh track. It's gotten so
serious around here lately, what with all the politics and the ad
hominem and the posturing and the self defensiveness. I think adding a
laugh track would be just the ticket.

As I imagine it, the outbursts of canned laughter would occur at random
intervals. You'd be in the middle of reading some heavy conspiracy
theory or political screed, and suddenly there would be the sound of
laughter, as if some astral audience reading over your shoulder had just
cracked up. Or you'd be reading someone's oh-so-earnest attempt to sell
you a "right" belief of fix one of your "wrong" ones, and again the
laugh track would go off. According to my theory, the random outbursts
of laughter would remind the readers that it was OK *to* laugh at random
outbursts of seriousness, and at themselves for ever taking them
seriously. As a result, goes my theory, there would be fewer serious
replies, as fewer people got their buttons all pushed.

How 'bout it, Bhairitu, or the other programmers here? Can you whip up
an app that lives in the background as you're reading or writing to FFL
that randomly laughs at you from time to time? I think it would be a
useful utility.  :-)