--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "oye34vay" <msilver1951@...> wrote:

> Came across this in response to not having a colonoscopy.
>
> http://www.fibermenace.com/crc/crc_colonoscopy.html

Get your doctor to read this and comment on it. Has
s/he recommended a colonoscopy for you?

Note that the writer is selling various colon-health
products, including a post-colonoscopy "Colorectal
Recovery Kit" for $120, so he has a stake in fostering
folks' anxiety about the state of their colons and the
risks of colonoscopy. Color me dubious.

Also find out the statistics on complications of
colonoscopy from wherever you're contemplating getting
one and compare its complication rate with his
statistics. The statistics he gives are overall
averages, including from colonoscopy "factories," where
the rate of complications may be higher than normal and
push up the average. IOW, if you go to a good place,
its complication rate may be lower than average.

Bottom line, it's worth it if it detects cancer, and
not if it doesn't, but you won't know until you have
one, so "Is it worth it?" is an unanswerable question
for the individual; the overall statistics don't tell
you that. Obviously you want to reduce the risk of
complications as much as possible, but whether that
involves buying expensive "kits" is dubious.

Take a look at "About Author" on the Web site. I'm
not much impressed with his medical background. His
books aren't exactly self-published, but the company
that publishes them doesn't seem to publish anything
else. He does appear to be well-meaning and humane,
but his expertise is another issue.

There seems to be a trend recently to downgrade the
value of screening tests for people who aren't at
high risk--first of mammography, and just recently of
PSA tests for prostate cancer--but there's tremendous
controversy about this among medical professionals,
leading to mass confusion and angst among patients.
It's infuriating.

The site recommends the book "Should I Be Tested for
Cancer?" that has received excellent reviews from
medical authorities. I own it, and I think it's
excellent. It won't give you yes-or-no answers, but
it should help give you a clearer perspective on the
risk/benefit equation.